Misty Wood - spiritual forum

A forum for all things spiritual, tarot, reiki and beyond.

What or Who is a Pagan?

Lady_Kara

What or Who is a Pagan?

Post  Lady_Kara on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:53 am

I'll begin this with What is a pagan? In Christian beliefs anyone who doesn't recognize "God" as the one and only true God and Jesus as his son, is a pagan. The same can be said for the other main religions around the world. We are either Heathens or Pagans. The word Heathen actually was defined hundreds of years ago as "a person who centers their life around a hearth". But since we do not wish to follow one of their concepts of religion we are, or must be a pagan. A pagan it can be said is a person who follows any other religion other than that which is followed by the person doing the labeling. I, myself do not care for labels, but from the minute we are born we are labeled. We are male or female, that is a label. Tall, short, fat, skinny, blonde, or redhead, brown or blue eyed, all labels and if it makes those out there that believe in a church where everyone was created in the image of "God", yet "God" is a male, feel better to make me out to be a pagan than so be it.
    Modern day paganism covers a wide variaty of religious views. Wiccans, Witches, are all covered under the titutlar title of pagan. So when I have been asked if I was a Wiccan, I answer yes. When asked if I am a Witch, I answer Yes. And also if asked if I am a pagan, I also answer Yes. Do not be afraid of the word Pagan, it has no negativity attached to it other than what you put on it. What others put into the word should not matter to you. Be proud of who and what you are. And do not let the label of Pagan scare you away from the wonderful path you are on.
    silvershe

pagan?

Post  silvershe on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:13 pm

hi lady_kara,
    i liked your post, i am proud to be pagan. In fact its the only label i feel comfortable with. When asked if im a witch, i answer, mmm just pagan, wiccan? no just pagan. lol.
    I am doing a bardic course and a traditional witchcraft course, i feel alot of connection with both, so i dont feel one path is for me.
    So, i think i,l always be `just pagan`, but proud to be.

cheers

silvershe
    Terri

Re: What or Who is a Pagan?

Post  Terri on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:28 pm

It's interesting as I've never been able to completely classify my beliefs. I was raised Christian - primarily Lutheran - yet spent a few years at a Baptist School during my elementary years. I was in the 4th grade and I remember being so completely confused (Lutherans and Baptist may share a common God and Holy Book - but the similarities seem to stop there) by what was being taught to me during "Chapel" at school and at "Church" on Sundays. A very wise woman who worked at the school took me aside and explained that God was in my heart and my soul. Trust in what I find when I look inside myself for the answers. There are so many Christian faiths that claims theirs to be the "one true way" and I was never going to be happy if I looked outwardly for the path I needed to take.

She was truly a gift.

I have found that my spirituality is more a conglomeration of various faiths I've studied over the years. And while I still believe "there's a God in Heaven" my idea of Heaven is more of an afterlife - a spiritual existence where one goes to further their growth.

I am a believer in reincarnation. I am a believer in Karma. I am a believer that our path on this earth is to grow in love and in spirit. I believe in the earth and her gifts. I believe in the souls of animals and of nature. I believe we are all connected.

And I believe that our Spiritual growth is whatever we need it to be during our current incarnation.

I don't have the answers - I know I'm still searching within myself for my truth. I certainly don't have the truth for others.

We are all created in love and of love. I believe it is an indication of our growth level as to how much an individual is willing to accept and love those around them. I struggle as much as I love and I love as much as I struggle.

Does this make me a Pagan? I really don't know...
    Lady_Kara

Are you a pagan?

Post  Lady_Kara on Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:51 pm

Terri,
    Pagan is just a label, as is christian, Wiccan, and other such labels. I label myself as a pagan due to my belief in a duelality of a "GOD" and a "GODDESS", actually in many of them, ua as for a supreme being who has total control over everything xcept free will. That I cannot buy. Nor do I believe in a heaven or hell, or the devil or satan, or lucifer as he has been named as being the one to try and wreastle control over life on this planet. So in saying this, others will label me pagan. And I accept the Label, as do I accept the Label Wiccan as my belief, and the label witch as is my practice. I feel they all fit together in one package which is ME. So I guess what I am trying to say is you are a pagan if you want to accept that label upon yourself. Otherwise find one that fits or don't accept being labeled, You are just You. As long as you are happy with YOU, thats the important part.

Sponsored content

Re: What or Who is a Pagan?

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:54 pm