Misty Wood - spiritual forum

A forum for all things spiritual, tarot, reiki and beyond.

Lucid Dreams

HuffyPup

Lucid Dreams

Post  HuffyPup on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:23 pm

Does anyone know any good techniques for staying "in" a lucid dream? I do frequently have lucid dreams, but I usually find that I wake up when they start to get interesting - and the harder you fight to stay "in" the dream the more likely you are to wake up. Sometimes it's like diving into a wonderfully fantasy world where practically anything can happen, but then - cruelly - you start to bob to the surface and wake up just when you start to realise you're lucid.

Anyone know any good techniques for "staying in" the lucid dream?

Mluvbears

Re: Lucid Dreams

Post  Mluvbears on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:50 am

I have had the same thing happen to me. I have tried to ask my guides and angels to assist me so I could remember them. I'm still a work in progress.

HuffyPup

Post  HuffyPup on Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:25 pm

I've heard a few good techniques, and had limited success with a few. One theory is that the reason you wake up is because you start to become more "aware" and your mind accesses the senses in the "real" world, rather than the dream world. There is a theory that if you can introduce some strong sensory stimulus into the dream you won't become distracted by the real world. A couple of suggested ways of doing that are to rub your tongue on the roof of your mouth in the dream, try to spin your "dream" self around a few times or to shout a command such as "increase lucidity!!!" in your dream. I've found the "tongue rub" technique to be partially effective in many instances, and the "spin" technique worked but caused the dream to alter significantly with every spin. The "shouting" technique i've not tried, because i'm worried about actually shouting it in real life as well.....

I've also found i'm significantly more likely to become lucid if i've had plenty of sleep over the previous few evenings and not eaten massively shortly before bed.

Some people keep a dream diary on the grounds that this forces you to remember your dreams and over a few weeks makes them more vivid and more memorable because your brain is actually "focussed" on the dreams more due to the need to write it down on waking.

Be just a bit careful. You dreams reflect your current state-of-mind and overriding throughts at the time. If you need to bail out, then Don't be afraid to screw your eyes up in the dream and throw them open again. Usually you'll "surface" immediately, often with quite a jolt (it's an emergency stop!).

It's fun - let us know how you get on!
    April moon

One technique that i have used and has been a success is to place a glass of water under your bed at night.. Just try it ;-)

Post  April moon on Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:29 pm

One technique that i have used and is really quite useful is placing a glass of water under your bed at night.. Just try it ;-)

HuffyPup

Post  HuffyPup on Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks. I'll surely give it a go.

CelticRose

Post  CelticRose on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:09 pm

Great ideas!! Great topic as well!! I know that when you fall asleep while laying on your right side, helps induce lucid dreaming. Before you fall asleep..tell yourself "I WILL remember my dreams when I wake up!"
    When you do wake up..dont wake up too fast. Lay in bed a little while and relax. Hold unto your feelings..are you happy or sad?
    When your awake during the day..ask your self "Am I dreaming?" The trick is NOT to answer the question. Its simply to condition your mind. Do this especially when odd things happen, or you find synchronicities. Example: Check the time on the clock, and then check it again right away. If your dreaming, the time always changes. Doing this regualarily while awake will become second nature and you will find yourself asking this question as you dream.
    You can also use a counting method to enter lucidity. "One, am I dreaming..Two, am I dreaming..three, am I dreaming?" Etc etc.. by the time you get to a higher number, you will realize..you ARE dreaming.
    Identify dream markers or symbols. They serve as cues to let you know you are dreaming.
    Encourage lucid dreaming, but dont force them. After you continue to have these lucid dreams for awhile, you can then write it down and remember the smells, colors, feelings. Before going to bed..tell yourself WHAT your going to dream!~
    Good luck!! Let us know how your journey progresses!!

HuffyPup

Post  HuffyPup on Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:05 pm

It's funny how technology *never* works in dreams. It'll always either be behaving totally randomly, completely intert, inexplicably sentient or just a hole in the world. It's a good "reality check" to peek at your watch (especially digitals) - if you're in a dreamscape some seriously weird things may be happening to it and it certainly won't behave consistantly.

If you know a bit about lucid dreaming (and I only know a very small amount) you'll realise that "The Matrix" is full of imagery to do with dreamscapes. Including the bit about "deja vu means something has changed in the Matrix", and especially the way the world reacts to (for example) Helicopter crashes.

Here is some advice i'll pass on to people - simply because it's a bit weird but personal experience tells me it's true. Whatever happens in a dream you should never look at your own reflection, and especially never at your own face. Mirrors, shiny cars, flat calm ponds - whatever it is. For some reason it's a really, really unpleasant experience and very unsettling. I did once try to look at myself in a dream mirror. I couldn't see my own face and woke up with one hell of a start. Oddly enough i'm sure i've noticed my movement reflected in (for example) car bodywork or shop windows as i've passed them before in dreams without a problem, so it seems to relate to deliberate viewing and not to incidentally seeing small reflections in the environment.

Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf

Post  Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:58 pm

Finally had another lucid dream last night after so many years (probably due to reading all this above and wishing for lucid dreaming before going to sleep Wink so it's done the trick. Not all too success (I drowned!!), but beautiful and very insightful.

But.. any of you had flying dreams?

Blessings,
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf
    Misty Wood
    Admin

Post  Misty Wood on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:31 am

This has been moved to Astral travel / Projection

HuffyPup

Post  HuffyPup on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:09 pm

Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf wrote:
    But.. any of you had flying dreams?

Oh, YES! My favorite kind of dreams (well, other than... you know...<blush>). Sometimes they can be so vivid that the following day you feel as if your whole body is made of lead and if you just *believed* hard enough you'd be able to do it for real. Although I did once have a dream that I was floating away from the ground without wanting too and drifting off into space never to be seen again.. Strangely enough I was being watched by the crowd of farmyard animals from the old "Farmer Browns Crisps" commercials. Surreal for a five year old!
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf

Post  Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:22 pm

HuffyPup wrote:
    Oh, YES! My favorite kind of dreams (well, other than... you know...<blush>). Sometimes they can be so vivid that the following day you feel as if your whole body is made of lead and if you just *believed* hard enough you'd be able to do it for real. Although I did once have a dream that I was floating away from the ground without wanting too and drifting off into space never to be seen again.. Strangely enough I was being watched by the crowd of farmyard animals from the old "Farmer Browns Crisps" commercials. Surreal for a five year old!

That's cute, real cute Wink hope they've been watching over you ever since! Shows you were in touch with things at an early age.. your first astral travel.. Wink Yes, I've spent a lot of time flying in my dreams, not so much recently unfort, but earlier, several years back. Been through them all, you name it, been through it, from flying on a witch's broomstick to being a vampire over castle walls at night, to even, yes, probably the funniest and really beautiful, superman Wink flying through the sky. Spent a long time mastering the techniques of spreading your arms out in front of you straight, a bit like JOnathon Seagull with all his flying tricks!! Wink they really are great dreams. another lovely one was being carried away by a balloon on the top of a hill.. yes, I do miss them.. hope they come back soon Wink
    Greets,
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf

HuffyPup

Post  HuffyPup on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:31 pm

[quote="Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf"]
    HuffyPup wrote:

That's cute, real cute Wink hope they've been watching over you ever since! Shows you were in touch with things at an early age.. your first astral travel.. Wink

Well, yes, it probably does seem cute - however it scared the crap out of me at the time. But then I was five at the time and was floating away from the ground because gravity seemed to be reversed. I was actually "at" a group of hills where I used to play as a kid, and i'd rolled down them once-or-twice before - maybe that's where the dream came from? I can clearly remember that group of animals singing "Farmer Brown that's a tasty old snack you've got there!" (which isn't even the lyrics) and the cheery nature of the singing just made it all so sinister.

Here is the add, actually.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've had some much, much nicer flying dreams. Some i've raced other people, some i've been invisible and exploring a beautifull landscape on a wonderfull summers day. Once I dreamed I was on the moon and suddenly thought "hang on - you cannot breathe on the moon" and snapped back away with the immortal words "it's an *ASTRAL* body, you daft f****er - it doesn't need to breathe!" said out loud - fortunately I was sleeping alone that night but I did feel annoyed at allowing a second of irrational panic to spoil what was shaping up to be a wonderfull dream!
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf

Post  Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:08 pm

That sounds fantastic HuffyPuff, and somehow very similar to some of my own. Even reading about your dragon initially just sounds a bell home (if one can say that), I can imagine it so clearly, as though I've dreamt something similar. But I can also imagine, if you say so, that it was a little frightening for a small kid. Wink Must listen to the song when it's day and the noise won't disturb anyone Wink In fact I've also had some amazing ones. Once I FLEW to Venus!! I remember it distinctly. It was so beautiful! On the way up, looking back briefly and seeing the Earth get smaller and smaller behind me. And funnily, on Venus I found a kind of outer space station and all there was there were coctails and beds (never analysed that one for myself!).
    One thing that also awakens something in me is the dreamscapes you mention in one of your other posts. I've never really be so fortunate to dream about those. Once, a little, when I saw a hole in a rock wall that had a scenery of crystals and things behind. But that was all. I hope though I do dream about those sometime, or at least hear the stories people like you tell.. about them. Wink
    good night now,
    blessings,
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf

Post  Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:13 pm

CelticRose wrote:Great ideas!! Great topic as well!! I know that when you fall asleep while laying on your right side, helps induce lucid dreaming. Before you fall asleep..tell yourself "I WILL remember my dreams when I wake up!"
    When you do wake up..dont wake up too fast. Lay in bed a little while and relax. Hold unto your feelings..are you happy or sad?
    When your awake during the day..ask your self "Am I dreaming?" The trick is NOT to answer the question. Its simply to condition your mind. Do this especially when odd things happen, or you find synchronicities. Example: Check the time on the clock, and then check it again right away. If your dreaming, the time always changes. Doing this regualarily while awake will become second nature and you will find yourself asking this question as you dream.
    You can also use a counting method to enter lucidity. "One, am I dreaming..Two, am I dreaming..three, am I dreaming?" Etc etc.. by the time you get to a higher number, you will realize..you ARE dreaming.
    Identify dream markers or symbols. They serve as cues to let you know you are dreaming.
    Encourage lucid dreaming, but dont force them. After you continue to have these lucid dreams for awhile, you can then write it down and remember the smells, colors, feelings. Before going to bed..tell yourself WHAT your going to dream!~
    Good luck!! Let us know how your journey progresses!!

This is wonderful advice CelticRose. Although I felt a little low recently, and not sleeping to well, I did take your advice and had a semi-lucid dream the other night that was rather pleasant. Wink I think this is awesome advice and shall follow it, to encourage good and happy sleep and I agree - not to overdo it or force it, which is what I did many years ago and ended up having a terrible dream that shocked the hell out of me!!
    On this note, sweet dreams and speak to you all in the morning.
    Love and light,
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf

HuffyPup

Post  HuffyPup on Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:24 pm

The thing for me is that lucid dreaming is a little like the first time you ride a bike with no stabilisers, or go swimming without your armbands. You're excited, but at the same time a little worried that something will go wrong. And (for me at least) I find myself having a great sense of freedom to try things. The problem is that I want it to last, but at the same time i'm aware that the longer I prolong it the more likely I am to have a problem and the more serious the problem might be. The excitement this engenders usually means I try to do all sorts of things in a big kerfuffle and end up waking myself up instead.

This isn't explaining it very well, i'm afraid. It doesn't help that lucidity happens so infrequently for me that when it does there is a huge surprise element as well, and i'm not mentally prepared to take advantage of the experience.
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf

Post  Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf on Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:29 pm

hmmm, this is very interesting huffypup, I shall comment back tomorrow or latest on Friday. am tired and must be up early xxx blessings,
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:20 am