Misty Wood - spiritual forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Misty Wood - spiritual forum

A forum for all things spiritual, tarot, reiki and beyond.

2 posters

Handfastings?

HuffyPup

Handfastings? Empty Handfastings?

Post  HuffyPup Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:28 pm

I've been reading various forums recently. One thing that is mentioned quite a lot is a "handfasting" - which seems to be some kind of pagan wedding - can anyone tell me more about it? I cannot say I like a traditional wedding much, but then again a registry office seems a bit clinical for me.

Lady_Kara
    Lady_Kara

Handfastings? Empty Handfastings

Post  Lady_Kara Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:15 pm

A hand fasting has changed since the original meaning. Back a few hundred years ago a handfasting was done when a couple usually after May Day ceremonies found themselves in the family way. They wer handfasted for a year and a day, basically as suppor for the girl during the pregnancy and to see if they would last as a couple. If they did then they were married.
    Today a Handfasting is a Wiccan Marriage Ceremony, usually done by the coven High Priestess, if part of a coven or if not there are Priestesses who are solitary who perform Handfastings. It is held within a sacred circle, the couple will made vows to each other, their right hands, the power hands, are tied together by the Priestess to show the joining of their mutual strengths and then they are blessed and if want, they add the old rite of fertility into it by jumping the broomstick. The broomstick used is one which they as a couple make together. they remain tied together for the rest of the celebration that night.
    When returning home the broomstick is placed in a place of honor and the ribbon used to tie their hands is hung above it without untying the knots.
    If the Priestess is licensed to sign the legal marriage forms she will, if not then you will have to use the courthouse for the legal end of it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm