Misty Wood - spiritual forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Misty Wood - spiritual forum

A forum for all things spiritual, tarot, reiki and beyond.

4 posters

Question about reversed cards

Terri
    Terri

Question about reversed cards Empty Question about reversed cards

Post  Terri Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:04 pm

I'm just starting out with Tarot cards and I try to keep them neat and tidy. Well - I'm starting to think that I'm not meant to do that! Recently, I was doing a simple reading on myself and virtually all the cards in the layout were upside down. I would then look at my deck - see that the cards were rightside up and then proceed to try again - and...upside down.

It was almost as if the entire meaning was that my world was upside down. I certainly don't need that! I'm just starting to get my bearings again and feel as if I'm finally on the right path.

Suffice it to say it was disturbing and I put the deck away.

I really don't know what to think...
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf

Question about reversed cards Empty Trusting the cards

Post  Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:50 pm

Terri wrote:I'm just starting out with Tarot cards and I try to keep them neat and tidy. Well - I'm starting to think that I'm not meant to do that! Recently, I was doing a simple reading on myself and virtually all the cards in the layout were upside down. I would then look at my deck - see that the cards were rightside up and then proceed to try again - and...upside down.

It was almost as if the entire meaning was that my world was upside down. I certainly don't need that! I'm just starting to get my bearings again and feel as if I'm finally on the right path.

Suffice it to say it was disturbing and I put the deck away.

I really don't know what to think...

What I find with tarot cards is there's always a meaning and significance by every detail, most of which we are however not aware of. But it is there. It's a question of really looking deeply. I find if you don't find the answer immediately or soon after the reading, it maybe that it's out of memory and hard to retrieve into consciousness after that. But I bet one day you'll be doing a reading or having a quiet moment of inspiration wherever you are and the answer will hit you. Either as a sign or you'll just become aware of why the cards were upside down. Answer you I cannot, the answer lies in you and in reading the cards, reading the mirror of who you are. Sure, it must have been uncomfortable and I hope the answer props up one day in the near future. If you read the card, trusting and not fearing, then perhaps you already have the roots ingrained in your subconscience. Now it's just a question of it surfacing.
    Love and light,
    Hope I could help,
    rebecca rendeer
    Misty Wood
    Misty Wood
    Admin

Question about reversed cards Empty Re: Question about reversed cards

Post  Misty Wood Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:13 pm

There tends to be an overall apprehension when interpreting reversed tarot card meanings in Tarot readings. Typically, many tarot readers and reference books tend to believe reversed card positions are more negative in nature. What people fail to recognize, however, is that reversed cards often provide us with the solutions that we have been seeking. They reveal what behaviours we must become aware of and, in some cases, reference important influences we may not necessarily been conscious of. They always encourage a shift in one’s perspective.
    There are many methods for interpreting a reversed Tarot card – I have listed seven of what I believe are the most useful and common. These methods can be applied generally to each card of the Tarot deck.
    • Traditional meanings. Using the Little White Book (LWB) provided with the deck
    • The opposite of the upright card. This is perhaps one of the most common (and simple) ways of interpreting reversed Tarot cards and involves simply taking the opposite of the upright meaning for that card
    • The energy of the card is increased or decreased. In this method, the energy of the upright card is either strengthened or weakened. Knowing whether the energy is increased or decreased will depend on the surrounding cards.
    • Blocked energy. The energy of the upright card is blocked or repressed in some way.
    • Delays. Reversed cards can indicate delays related to the card itself.
    • Sub-conscious awareness. The energy of the card remains in the subconscious and has not yet been revealed to the you.
    • “No.” In a yes/no reading, a reversed card may simply mean ‘no’.
    Now, with at least seven methods of how to interpret a reversed Tarot card, you’re probably scratching your head and wondering, “How on earth am I going to know which method to use and when?!” Well, that’s why it takes years and years of practice to become a good Tarot reader! Nonetheless, here are a few tips to help you know which method to use:
    • Mentally agree to use one method only. Tell the Universe prior to a reading how you are choosing to read reversals,
    • Go with your gut instinct. Sometimes you just ‘know’ what the card refers to.
    • Look at the other cards in the reading. Look for themes across the different cards in the spread you are using
    • Experience. Sometimes, it really does just come down to experience.
    If you’re still learning and not yet reading for others, use a Tarot Journal to learn from your personal experiences of the reversed cards. By doing either of these two things, you’ll be able to build a selection of ‘stories’ around each reversed card which you can then use in future readings.

Terri
    Terri

Post  Terri Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:46 pm

Thank you both - I see that I still have a lot to learn. I believe that I truly just need to "relax into the cards" and go with my gut. I think I just panicked and I'm not sure why.

Time to relax and give it another go. Definitely need to do the journaling!
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf

Post  Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:01 am

Dear Terri,

Just to let you know, I found a book on the internet called something like 'Reversals in Tarot Reading', so this appears to be a whole topic on its own. It would be rather interesting to find out more. I, albeit, for some reason or other, don't use reversals in readings. I've skimmed them all out and very particular about caring for them. What I do give a lot of attention to, however, is those that jump out whilst shuffling the cards. These are very significant to me and form a (mental) basis for the reading. They orient me and thus guide me through the question-asking properly, which is esp. usefull when I'm reading for others.

With love, light and blessings,
    Rebecca
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf

Post  Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:10 am

Misty Wood wrote:
    • Traditional meanings. Using the Little White Book (LWB) provided with the deck
    • The opposite of the upright card. This is perhaps one of the most common (and simple) ways of interpreting reversed Tarot cards and involves simply taking the opposite of the upright meaning for that card
    • The energy of the card is increased or decreased. In this method, the energy of the upright card is either strengthened or weakened. Knowing whether the energy is increased or decreased will depend on the surrounding cards.
    • Blocked energy. The energy of the upright card is blocked or repressed in some way.
    • Sub-conscious awareness. The energy of the card remains in the subconscious and has not yet been revealed to the you.

Dear MistyWood,

I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier to this message. I honoured to get such good insight in tarot cards.

What I wanted to ask briefly, is what your external opinion would be on the use of reversals in readings. I've been using tarot cards for a very long time (since I was around 15) and never used reversals. I considered it a couple of times since then, but for some reason I just never did, which I can't explain, perhaps due to my life or just how I am. Now you mention them, though, and I find your points on how one can interpret them, esp. the ones listed above in this message, extremely insightful and would be more than prepared to perhaps try out the way you mention it. But then, I'm rather particular about my method and relationship with the tarot cards. What do you think, of whether I should or shouldn't etc.?
    Would love to hear your opinion!

With love and light,

röebok
    pinklightworker
    pinklightworker

Question about reversed cards Empty Thankyou!

Post  pinklightworker Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:54 am

This is such an interesting topic thankyou Misty Wood for your writing out some of the reversed meanings they are really helpful and yes insightful. The one that struck me the most was 'increased or decreased energy'. I did a three card reading for my own person use this morning and two of them were reversed. I must admit I am always a little scared when this happens but your explanation seems to fit as my energy has decreased somewhat. I am quite brutally honest with myself now especially if there is something that is repressed or blocked but I'm way too heavy on myself so this topic has really lightened it up a lot for me thankyou.

I look forward to learning so much more not only about the tarot but about myself.

Blessings

pinklightworker x flower
    Misty Wood
    Misty Wood
    Admin

Post  Misty Wood Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:17 pm

Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf wrote:
    Misty Wood wrote:

Dear MistyWood,

I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier to this message. I honoured to get such good insight in tarot cards.

What I wanted to ask briefly, is what your external opinion would be on the use of reversals in readings. I've been using tarot cards for a very long time (since I was around 15) and never used reversals. I considered it a couple of times since then, but for some reason I just never did, which I can't explain, perhaps due to my life or just how I am. Now you mention them, though, and I find your points on how one can interpret them, esp. the ones listed above in this message, extremely insightful and would be more than prepared to perhaps try out the way you mention it. But then, I'm rather particular about my method and relationship with the tarot cards. What do you think, of whether I should or shouldn't etc.?
    Would love to hear your opinion!

With love and light,

röebok

Try asking the cards... upright is a yes, reversed is a no... see if they think you are ready x

Blessings

Misty
    )O(
    Misty Wood
    Misty Wood
    Admin

Post  Misty Wood Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:19 pm

pinklightworker wrote:This is such an interesting topic thankyou Misty Wood for your writing out some of the reversed meanings they are really helpful and yes insightful. The one that struck me the most was 'increased or decreased energy'. I did a three card reading for my own person use this morning and two of them were reversed. I must admit I am always a little scared when this happens but your explanation seems to fit as my energy has decreased somewhat. I am quite brutally honest with myself now especially if there is something that is repressed or blocked but I'm way too heavy on myself so this topic has really lightened it up a lot for me thankyou.

I look forward to learning so much more not only about the tarot but about myself.

Blessings

pinklightworker x flower

My pleasure...

Please check out my website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] You will find daily tarot on there with reversed meanings and meditation questions.

Misty
    )O(
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf

Post  Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:57 am

Misty Wood wrote:
    Try asking the cards... upright is a yes, reversed is a no... see if they think you are ready x

Blessings

Misty
    )O(

Wink I certainly shall ~ what a good idea Wink only I don't know if I dare shuffle them so that there are up and down ones!!

Last edited by Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:41 am