Misty Wood - spiritual forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Misty Wood - spiritual forum

A forum for all things spiritual, tarot, reiki and beyond.

5 posters

The significance of taste in Tarot decks?

HuffyPup

The significance of taste in Tarot decks? Empty The significance of taste in Tarot decks?

Post  HuffyPup Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Question. We all know that the cards an individual pulls from a deck can tell them a lot - but what about an individuals choice of decks to work with? There is obviously a big difference in symbolism between (say) a fairie-themed deck and (say) the Thoth tarot. But what does someone's preference in terms of decks tell you about them, and the kind of reading that may be capable of or tending towards using that deck?

For example. Personally I like the Aethetics of the imagery on the Thoth Tarot. However, I know that the authors (Aleister Crowley & co) got up to some pretty unpaletable things and I do feel slightly uncomfortable about using the deck as a result of this knowledge. At the other end of the scale I always feel that fairie decks are too whimsical for my own personal taste. My own personal perference would be a deck made out of images of the night sky - but I cannot quite find what i'm looking for.

Last edited by HuffyPup on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Clarity.)
    Mluvbears

The significance of taste in Tarot decks? Empty Re: The significance of taste in Tarot decks?

Post  Mluvbears Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:42 am

Hello. I have not used tarot cards. I have recently gotten Angel Oracle cards. I am anxious to try them. I have never used them, so I'm still learning.
    HuffyPup

The significance of taste in Tarot decks? Empty Re: The significance of taste in Tarot decks?

Post  HuffyPup Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:07 pm

Plenty of people on here will give you very good advice. So what attacted you to the angel oracle cards?
    Misty Wood
    Misty Wood
    Admin

Post  Misty Wood Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:08 pm

Mluvbears wrote:Hello. I have not used tarot cards. I have recently gotten Angel Oracle cards. I am anxious to try them. I have never used them, so I'm still learning.

There are 2 areas of the forum that might interest you.... one on oracle cards and another on angels.

Welcome and enjoy flower

Blessings of love and light

Misty
    )O(
    Mluvbears

Post  Mluvbears Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:27 pm

I watched someone use them for a reading. I felt comfortable learning about them.
    Misty Wood
    Misty Wood
    Admin

Post  Misty Wood Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:32 pm

Mluvbears wrote:I watched someone use them for a reading. I felt comfortable learning about them.

That is wonderful - good luck and enjoy!

Misty
    )O(
    HuffyPup

Post  HuffyPup Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Well, thats the best reason to get a certain set of cards. You liked them. My theory is that reading is all about intuition - so your choice of deck is definately a "heart" decision rather than a "head" decision.

But that's just my theory.
    Misty Wood
    Misty Wood
    Admin

Post  Misty Wood Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:58 pm

HuffyPup wrote:Well, thats the best reason to get a certain set of cards. You liked them. My theory is that reading is all about intuition - so your choice of deck is definately a "heart" decision rather than a "head" decision.

And a good one at that.... I have always gone for the cards I felt "drawn" to.

Misty
    )O(
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf

Post  Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:36 am

Misty Wood wrote:
    HuffyPup wrote:Well, thats the best reason to get a certain set of cards. You liked them. My theory is that reading is all about intuition - so your choice of deck is definately a "heart" decision rather than a "head" decision.

And a good one at that.... I have always gone for the cards I felt "drawn" to.

Misty
    )O(

Yes, I also think its important to be 'drawn' to a pack. I was drawn to to my Haindl Tarot deck when I was around 16 and have only really ever stuck to those. I have a couple of Shamanic cards too, but this has been the only true one - the one I know inside out (and who knows me inside out!) Wink
    I think you, HuffyPuff should check them out. They are beautiful and encorporate different religions (Western - native Indian, Eastern - Buddhist, Southern - Egyptian and Northern - Scandivian / Celtic or something in between. There are several books by a lady (shall give you the name later if you like) who studied and lived with the artist for a while and got to know and study him inside out and that shows in the books. They are a popular pack, according to my experience, even more so than I originally thought.
    This site and your comments, however show that you have many each, so perhaps it could be time for me to look further afield Smile

In love and light,
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf
    Morning Star
    Morning Star

The significance of taste in Tarot decks? Empty My Tarot Decks

Post  Morning Star Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:59 am

I have two decks, both of which I was drawn to. Near me we have a lovely shop called The Magnolia Tree, which sells alsorts of lovely things. They have quite a range of Tarot Decks and will not sell you any deck. His motto is the deck will choose you.

The first deck i bought was Antonio Lupatelli's Fairy Tarot, the cards are beautiful. They always let me know if there is something important I should know, I don't always get the message first time so I have had the same cards over and over. I did finally get what they were telling me and they were spot on.

I also have Tarot of The Moon Garden, they are awesome pictures. There is so much detail on each card that i spent hours studying them when i got them home. If I have something in depth that needs addressing i use these cards.

ok, thats enough waffleing for now sorry I tend to go on a bit lol.

Bright Blessings,

Morning Star Like a Star @ heaven
    HuffyPup

Post  HuffyPup Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:16 pm

I once saw a tarot deck that was very ornate, and had a few glow-in-the-dark highlights on it. Sounds tacky, but was tastefully done and looked spectacular under low lights.
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf
    Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf

Post  Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:17 pm

Now (finally) have a new tarot deck. More an angel deck called 11:11. Seems very obscure with very little description, but seeming to do the trick. Am still learning so any advice on working with angels would be welcome. ie. would also love to see someone reading with them.. have no idea what this looks like! Wink

Blessings,

Şpiяit Җ Ŵołf

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:22 am